Sunday, April 26, 2009

How to Get Ahead in Chichen Itza

As Always, it is best if you click the image above to get a larger view. The DIY post yesterday ended with a rule of thumb, "If a Texan would do it - don't". I am still waiting for the state to secede, I don't understand why that is supposed to be some kind of threat. I have had occasion to watch Chaos News Network (CNN) in the last few days and, besides feeling like I just put my head into a light show blender - every kind of blinking, scrolling, and flashing text possible all on one screen, or should I say multiple screens, I came away from it feeling uneasy, queasy, and dumber. I won't repeat it here, because I don't want you, dear reader, to feel that way after reading this blog. I think Texans have an advantage here since the only way to lower the IQ in a room of Texans is to add more Texans.

So you may be asking yourself, what does all that have to do with the picture above, precious little I fear, except a now almost 40 year old memory. When I first went to Yucatan, I had the privilege of seeing a number of ruins. Being a sullen know-it-all teenager at the time, felt I learned some secret of the universe shared by only the elite of the planet; my god, I'd seen the Maya Pyramids. I felt like that until I ran across a group of Baylor frat boys just flown in from Waco. Besides patting each other on the butt and guzzling beer, consistently kept asking each other when they we going to Chicken Itza, it might have been funny once to mispronounce Chichen as Chicken the 100th time it wasn't funny. So the skull altar at Chichen somehow resonates with the empty heads from Baylor. Next time we'll talk about intelligent design.

Hey, Palapa Poll - Go Vote!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG already! That third skull, in the third row? Like, ya know? I think I DATED him? Once … maybe … but he really, you know, like, looks familiar?


I think.