Friday, June 5, 2009

Just before the Band Played

Yesterday evening we were treated to this wonderful light - I don't need to say anything about this photo - the ones that I have to say something about really shouldn't be on this blog. So, since I just said I won't say anything about it, I won't. What I will say something about is potato salad, I'm making it later today after moving a few tablespoons of clay from the backyard. I consider potato salad an important food group during late spring/early summer. It must be approached with some sense of what perfect potato salad would taste like. I have been chasing the elusive ideal during the last few weeks and have found some things that make excellent potato salad instead of just good.

  • Use red potatoes - do not peel - dice and toss into the oversized bowl you're going to need
  • finely chop onions - use the right amount - to overdo and underdo
  • Use a bit of bell pepper
  • Use a bit of jalapeno
  • Use real mustard if it has a 20 syllable German name, you're on the right track
  • Use a bit of Chinese hot mustard - wakes up the whole mess a smidgen
  • Use hard boiled eggs diced about twice the size of the onions
  • Sweet pickle relish is also a requirement
You need to add the ingredients to the oversized bowl in mostly the opposite order than I have listed. Mix the whole mess together well with a large wooden spoon. Usually there is a bit a beer involved in making potato salad, but whatever you do - don't put the beer in the salad.

Thanks for your support - twttr @cjswift

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about the thinly sliced radishes? and the asparagus tips? and the little snicks of carrot, and the fresh dill from the garden?